Head of Emergency Response
Job Title: Head of Emergency Response Country and Location: Ireland, Dun Laoghaire Contract Duration: 12 months Level of Safeguarding risk: High Reports to: Director for International Programmes
Job Purpose: DevelopmentAid Recruitment Solutions is seeking, on the behalf of our client, an international NGO, a proficient and experienced Head of Emergency Response to provide leadership to our client’s emergency response programming. Specifically, the Head of Emergency Response will manage and develop the INGO’s capacity to respond to emergencies in new and existing country programmes and to ensure appropriate preparedness strategies are in place at a global and country level to mitigate against the impact of humanitarian crises. The successful candidate will also be contributing to the global strategy of the organisation and act as a first responder. This role has a global focus and will involve engagement with other Department Managers and members of the Senior Management Team.
- To lead the effective planning, design, management and monitoring of our client’s emergency response programmes; specifically:
- Support new programming in chronic or sudden onset humanitarian crises; lead the response as required on sectoral assessments, programme design, budget development, programme implementation and external coordination. Ensuring that there is strong engagement of the NGO programme, logistics, HR and finance functions;
- Manage the NGO’s Global Emergency Response Unit including budget responsibility and resource prioritisation and allocation. Negotiates other resources as required from other functional leads;
- Travel to the NGO’s current and protracted humanitarian programmes in a learning and support function;
- Ensure that crisis response programme planning and implementation is in line with our client’s standards, ensuring donor compliance and accountability to beneficiaries, donors and other stakeholders;
- Support global contextual analysis and anticipatory humanitarian positioning;
- Work with existing country programmes to ensure emergency preparedness plans are in place, are contextually appropriate and adequately resourced;
- Lead the capacity building of global response personnel and country programme staff who may be deployed to respond to crises within their countries or seconded to other responses;
- Contribute to the evaluation of humanitarian programmes, developing lessons learnt for internal and external knowledge sharing and future programming;
- Working with the Strategic Partnerships Department, develop and implement funding strategies for new humanitarian responses;
- Provide technical guidance on Emergency Response programme approaches, undertaking as required research and development of internal policy and guidelines;
- Support country programmes and Desk Officers through reviewing and providing feedback on humanitarian programme proposals and reports (interim and final) prior to submission to donors;
- Undertake external coordination at national and international forums, including actively engaging with appropriate NGO and Humanitarian networks, ensuring GOAL stays current on relevant sector trends;
- Support the development of appropriate strategic partnerships with local, national and international NGOs, networks and alliances, etc. with the aim of deepening the reach and effectiveness of our client’s emergency response function;
- Provide senior level donor liaison representation as required and in coordination with the Funding and Business Development Unit, specifically with Irish Aid, DFID, FFP, OFDA, BPRM, ECHO and UN agencies;
- Engage with HO media teams to plan and implement engagement strategies for emergency responses.
- Work closely with the SMT to develop humanitarian programming in line with our client’s global strategic plan
- Undertake from time to time certain other tasks relating to the NGO activities as requested, including support to broader initiatives within Strategic Partnership and Programmes Departments;
- Guide efforts to ensure compliance with the Core Humanitarian Standards for our client’s humanitarian response actions.
- Not less than 10 years’ overseas experience (six of which in a managerial capacity) in implementing and managing humanitarian programmes, particularly programmes funded by OFDA, ECHO, Dfid and UN agencies;
- Demonstrated leadership in establishing new emergency response and humanitarian programming;
- Demonstrated experience in representation with Institutional Donors e.g. OFDA, FFP, Dfid, ECHO, UN Agencies etc.;
- Experience supporting proposal development and internal and external reporting;
- Experience engaging with Cluster coordination systems;
- Experience of Contingency Planning;
- Experience working with Complaints and Response Mechanism and in relation to Stakeholder Information;
- Experience of negotiation and working with local partners;
- Evidence of good interpersonal and communication skill;
- Budgetary and financial management skills;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and under pressure; and
- Fluency in English and ideally in either French or Arabic.
General Terms and Conditions: Our package includes a competitive salary, 22 days’ annual leave and the possibility to join our Health care scheme. Additional benefits are available after 12 months of service. Candidates must be entitled to work in Ireland at the time of application. This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. Our client reserves the right to change this document.
Applications and updated CV should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, under the title: DRS ref number 10780.
Due to the high number of applications received via DevelopmentAid website, we can reply to shortlisted candidates only. Please note that the above requirements can be modified during the recruitment process according to client's procedures.